Re: Gentoo guys starting a fork of udev

Hi!
All these concerns about systemd and systemd vs. upstart have been
addressed in a very good way by the systemd authors.
Also, I would like to point out that "systemd" is the name of a
project with multiple binaries - all the features systemd provides
don't mean that everything is running in one process, in fact, systemd
spawns some helpers on-demand for many actions. (However, the systemd
core does more things than SysVInit, but as long as this code is
tested and works well (and isn't changed that often) I have no
concern)
Also, systemd provides systemd-logind, an excellent way to get rid of
ConsoleKit, which also makes it possible to have real multiseat
support. And managing services using systemd is fantastic! :)

But well, back to udev: I am not personally involved with the udev
packaging, but has someone already talked to the people making the
criticised decisions to explain themselves? I don't think ReadHat
developers want to do any damage to these integral components, so I
hardly think that there were no reasons for a change.
Also, if these issues cannot be solved, would maintaining a small
patchset for udev be an option?
Cheers,
   Matthias