Re: Gentoo guys starting a fork of udev

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 03:04:35PM +0100, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 09:49:07PM +0800, Patrick Lauer wrote:
> > But anyway, we're getting tired of their ADHD-driven changes just to
> > change things

> TBH, I'm getting tired of people who are constantly shooting against
> them because these people are unwilling to accept changes. We're not
> bringing Linux forward if we stick to 30-year-old concepts. systemd is a
> good design and most people actually agree otherwise it wouldn't become
> standard on so many distributions (except Ubuntu, but that's rather a
> political decision IMHO).

Pretty sure you have this backwards.  The decision to implement upstart and
use it in Ubuntu was a political one.  The decision to NIH a
dependency-based init system and then try to strongarm everyone into using
it by breaking compatibility was the political one.

BTW, if systemd is a good design, why does it rely so heavily on
socket-based activation, which has fundamentally unmaintainable security?

> One of the Arch developers actually made a couple of good points why
> they switched to systemd as default [1].

   I have spent too much time arguing against the perceived deficiencies of
   systemd (such as [...] "it was started by Lennart Poettering" [...]).  I
   strongly believe that 1) all of these perceived deficiencies are not
   deficiencies, but are actually benefits [...]

So I guess the Arch developers also have nothing but nice things to say
about pulseaudio and avahi.