Re: Gentoo guys starting a fork of udev

On Nov 14, 2012, at 7:06 PM, Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> wrote:

> On 11/14/2012 10:37 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
>> True, but as I said, System V Init is not a good concept anymore,
>> that's why it's being dropped. Apple dropped the old init system with
>> MacOS X 10.4, why should the Linux world still stick to it in 2012?
> Could we try not to mix the init system debate with
> the udev brokenness one?

udev isn't broken. The only reason why you think udev is broken is because you don't want to use the way it is intended to be used and now you're looking for people to jump the band wagon.

I could start the same discussion regarding other software packages not being compatible with certain platforms: "I want to use $DAEMON on $KERNEL, so please do something, upstream!"

Adrian