Re: Where could I upload x32 port bootstrap?

On Sat, 2012-11-10 at 18:28 +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> To explain for people who may not know: the benefit of x32 is that it
> gives a non-shit 32-bit x86 ABI. i386 is *awful* as a processor to
> target for many reasons, horrendously starved of registers. amd64
> (x86_64/x64) fixed this *and* added 64-bit support, which helped a
> lot. amd64 typically gives much better performance on processor-heavy
> workloads than i386 due to the increased register space, but this
> improved is offset a little by the cost of the larger pointers taking
> more cache space. x32 is an attempt to get the benefit of the better
> register set without killing cache so much.

IIRC x32 also defaults to an amd64 style register-based calling
convention instead of the stack based convention used the i386 ABI. I
bet the effects of this are pretty interesting too. It's long been the
case that kernel side, which doesn't have to worry about the calling
convention ABI, has opted for -mregparm=3 on i386.

Ian.
--
Ian Campbell

BOFH excuse #240:

Too many little pins on CPU confusing it, bend back and forth until 10-20% are neatly removed. Do _not_ leave metal bits visible!