Re: Where could I upload x32 port bootstrap?

Am Sat, 10 Nov 2012 18:28:14 +0000
schrieb Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com>:

> Adam Borowski wrote:

> >> Nowhere, until we decide if and how we want to use x32.
> >> IIRC there was some agreement that if we decide to support x32 it
> >> should be as a partial architecture.
> >
> >That'd make it mostly worthless.  If you need to co-install amd64
> >packages on the same system (but not physical machine!), memory
> >gains are gone.
> >
> >On the other hand, x32 can be pretty nice in, for example, vserver
> >situations: you have tens of fast CPU- and memory-efficient vservers
> >while you have an option of adding an amd64 one.
> >
> >So, x32 would need to have all of the userspace.  Using an amd64
> >kernel is no different from an i386 system: currently done via a
> >duplicate package, could be done via a minimal use of multiarch.  If
> >this is what you mean by "partial architecture", then we're not in
> >disagreement.
> >
> >Speed gains are far better than armel->armhf, at least for i386.
> >Gains compared to amd64 are limited to pointer-heavy code, said to
> >be up to 30%. If Daniel could upload his work somewhere, we'd be
> >able to test this ourselves instead of relying on some random
> >benchmarks.
>
> *If* we want to include x32, it's worth describing it and
> understanding the potential benefits properly and getting some
> benchmarks. There's been some work in Ubuntu on the benchmarking front
> (as I saw mentioned in a session at UDS last week[1]), which should be
> worth looking at. Hmmm, can't find any direct links to them,
> though. :-( Maybe somebody else can fill in here?

Not from the UDS but gives also some further information what x32 is and
where the difference to i386 and x86-64 are:

http://www.linuxplumbersconf.net/2011/ocw//system/presentations/531/original/x32-LPC-2011-0906.pptx

--
Andreas Rütten                                  AndreasRuetten@gmx.de

4096R: 0x6C9DFFB2 / 8394 99DA 59BD BCE2 3FC8 3A9E 6633 0089 6C9D FFB2