Re: Something like nocompress DEB_BUILD_OPTION

On 9 November 2012 00:33, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:
> Dmitrijs Ledkovs <xnox@debian.org> writes:
>
>> Gzip is ok, but many packages these days use xz -9 --extreme deb options
>> which is not fast at all on my pandaboard nor on my cloud instances with
>> capped CPU & memory.  Using such compression is good for release debs,
>> but not in developer testing. It wastes developer's time.
>
> Oh, okay.  It would actually be much easier to standardize a way to switch
> to gzip compression than it would be to add a new concept of uncompressed
> packages.

dpkg-source supports gzip, bzip2, lzma, xz (matters for beefy native packages)
dpkg-deb supports none, gzip, bzip2, lzma, xz

The reason why I am after a DEB_BUILD_OPTION is that there are
multiple tools that can optimized for time.
E.g. disable dh_scour that can take also take a while.

And setting multiple environment variables is not nice.

Alternatively we can abuse the noopt option, but I'd rather not
redefine / add extra meaning to the existing options.

Regards,

Dmitrijs.