Re: Something like nocompress DEB_BUILD_OPTION

On 8 November 2012 23:39, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:
> Dmitrijs Ledkovs <xnox@debian.org> writes:
>
>> I would like to have a nocompress Debian build option that will skip any
>> compression/optimisation at build time.
>
>> Specifically dpkg-builddeb and dpkg-source should use not use any
>> compression methods.
>
> Why do you think this would be of any benefit?  gzip compression is pretty
> fast.  It seems unlikely to me that this is a substantial bottleneck.

Gzip is ok, but many packages these days use xz -9 --extreme deb
options which is not fast at all on my pandaboard nor on my cloud
instances with capped CPU & memory.
Using such compression is good for release debs, but not in developer
testing. It wastes developer's time.

Regards,

Dmitrijs.