Re: major linux problems summary 2012

On Sun, Nov 04, 2012 at 01:56:08AM +0600, Andrey Rahmatullin wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 03, 2012 at 07:30:00PM +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > Don't feed the troll.
> It's not trolling.
> It's a honest list of problems which a lot of developers don't view as
> problems.

It's not. If he was serious, he wouldn't be citing articles from 2007.

Also, it annoys the hell out of me when people talk about Linux not
being successful. Linux is the dominant platform for mobile phones,
embedded devices (such as routers, TiVos, television sets),
servers, high-performance clusters, web servers and so on. Just look
it up.

The desktop PC is just one of many hardware platforms and the fact
that critical *commercial* software like Skype, Spotify and even Steam
is available or is going to be available on Linux speaks a completely
different language than what the author tries to draw in his article.

Plus, the desktop is a platform that Microsoft themselves is about to
abandon with Windows 8 (even though I do not think this is going into
the right direction, but that's a different story).

Linus Torvalds is often cited with "The day Microsoft starts writing
software for Linux, I have won." Well, Microsoft is already doing
with Skype. Plus, they're actually contributing to the Linux kernel.

Linux is everything but unsuccessful.

Cheers,

Adrian