Re: [PROPOSAL v2] Orphaning another maintainer's packages

]] Michael Gilbert

> >> It may not have include changes interesting to you, but there was
> >> certainly interest to others in the hurd improvements, and I think we
> >> should really try to be accommodating to hurd porters as much as
> >> possible.
> >
> > «For wheezy» is operative in my statement.  hurd is not a wheezy release
> > architecture, and it's actually not even part of Debian any longer any
> > more than HPPA or AVR32 is.  Making changes for such architectures, when
> > we're approaching a freeze, is pretty high on my «stuff I'm not going to
> > spend time on» list.
>
> That's where nmus help.

I think you misunderstood me.  Given there already existed a package in
the archive, which was in good shape for the release, changing that
package would be a bad idea.  Every change carries risk with it, however
small.  Whether it's the maintainer or an NMUer making that change is
less important.

> Someone that does care and does have the time can go ahead and get the
> features interesting them (and likely many other users) to work.

I find it hard to classify a port that has a number of popcon
submissions somewhere between alpha and sh4 as having «many users».

--
Tollef Fog Heen