Re: Processor microcode update packages

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012, Eric Valette wrote:
> On 29/09/2012 03:46, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> >1. No html, please.
> >
> >non-initrd is supported.  Read the package documentation for the details.
>
> I did. I do not want to compile microcode tool as a module because

Currently using microcode as a module is indeed the best choice, as it
covers all reasonably common user cases and works right for all supported
Linux kernel versions.

If you want to use non-modular, built-in microcode, the documentation of
iucode-tool does explain how to trigger the microcode reload after boot. You
will have to add it to your system yourself.

Feel free to write a new initscript and propose it as a wishlist bug to be
added to /usr/share/doc/.../examples.  If you do, I will add it at the next
upload.

> So it does not work for people compiling their own kernel and not
> using modules (when you tailor your kernel for a given machine,
> modules are just slowing the boot process and do not bring
> anything).

It does not work out-of-the-box.  Which is fine as far as I am concerned,
you did not get a custom kernel without initramfs support out-of-the-box
either.  And that happens to be the _only_ setup which is not supported
out-of-the-box.

  Henrique Holschuh