Re: Processor microcode update packages (was: Towards d-i wheezy beta 3)

On Thu, 13 Sep 2012, Nikolaus Rath wrote:
> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> writes:
> >>
> >> Could you elaborate on this please? I have been running systems just fine
> >> even though microcode.ctl (and corresponding microcode) was not installed and
> >> a look at microcode.ctl's popcon [0] confirms that a majority of users do the
> >> same.
> >
> [...]
> >
> > System stability depends critically on the presence of microcode that is as
> > up-to-date as required to cover all serious bugs on all features of the
> > processor that your workload uses.
>
> I think this should be mentioned somewhere *much* more prominent. I
> consider myself pretty tech-savy, but only stumbled upon this just now
> on the this list. Can a non-free package be made essential or
> required? It seems there is really absolutely no-reason other than
> non-freeness for not installing this by default.

For non-free, the priority doesn't make any difference.  It cannot be made
essential or required, because that doesn't make sense for non-free.
Basically, everything in non-free is effectively priority "extra".  That
said, both packages have their priority set to "standard" in the control
file, but ftp-masters decided to lower it.

It is also worth notice that enabling non-free is not just optional, it is
officially discouraged: non-free is not even mentioned by the Debian Wheezy
installer unless you're in expert mode.

And yes, the only reason to not have it installed by default on every x86
Debian system with an Intel or AMD processor is the non-freeness.

  Henrique Holschuh