Re: Gnome classic mode

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 6:16 AM, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le mercredi 12 septembre 2012 à 11:03 +0100, Darac Marjal a écrit :
>> Isn't the whole concept of "default desktop" just a matter of "which
>> desktop is included on CD1"? Are you proposing that Debian switches to a
>> series of "CD1s" (Debian Ghome Edition, Debian KDE Edition, Debian XFCE
>> Edition etc) or that Debian does away with offline installs entirely
>> ("An internet connection is required to install Debian")?

Debian already produces multiple CD1's with almost those exact labels.

> What is on CD1 is really anecdotic, since most people use (or should
> use) the netinst.
>
> So the real question is being able to choose the desktop from the
> installer instead of having to pre-seed this choice.

The installer already enables the user to make this choice.  I suppose
it's under a kind of obscure boot option, which would explain why so
many usually well-informed people apparently don't know about it.
Take a look under "Advanced options" -> "Alternative desktop
environments" next time you boot the installer.  Whether those options
would be more visible/discoverable under tasksel instead of the boot
menu is certainly open for debate, but it's not likely to change for
wheezy.

Best wishes,
Mike