Re: Enabling uupdate to simply remove files from upstream source (Was: Minified javascript files)

On 12-08-17 at 02:12pm, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hi Gregor,
>
> On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 01:47:48PM +0200, gregor herrmann wrote:
> > On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 13:08:39 +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> >
> > > So we finally have three independently developed solutions (we also have
> > > several instances of a debian/get-orig-source script in Debian Med
> > > team) and
> >
> > pkg-perl variant:
> > http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-perl/scripts.git;a=tree
> > repack.sh and repack.stub there
>
> Solution 4. ;-)
>
> > > my suggestion was just to settle with a common and simple
> > > solution.  This should be pretty simple to implement (I'd volunteer to
> > > do this but wanted to seek for comments before filing a bug report +
> > > patch).
> >
> > Yup, that would be nice.
> > But I don't think it belongs into uupdate but in uscan.
>
> Right that's correct (and explains Daniel's hint there is no need for
> uupdate).

>  1. I propose a file debian/uscan.remove which contains regular expressions.
>     The deletion process will loop over every line and does
>
>      rm -rf ${MAIN_SOURCE_DIR}/<expression>

It is already required (or only recommended?) to document in
debian/copyright when source has been altered, and for that file we
already have a well defined format for listing file content as part of
Copyright file format 1.0, a.k.a. DEP5.

I suggest instead of adding a new file to instead check if
debian/copyright contains as first line a supported URL (i.e. currently
http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/copyright-format/1.0/
is the only valid URL), and if so parses the header paragraph for the
undocumented-but-also-not-disallowed field "Files-Excluded", like this:

Format:
http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/copyright-format/1.0/
Upstream-Name: Susy
Upstream-Contact: Eric Meyer <eric@oddbird.net>
Source: http://susy.oddbird.net/
 Repackaged, excluding non-DFSG licensed fonts and source-less
JavaScript
Files-Excluded:
  docs/source/fonts/*
  docs/source/javascripts/jquery-1.7.1.min.js
  docs/source/javascripts/modernizr-2.5.3.min.js

 - Jonas