Re: Dublin, Ireland bug squashing party

On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 07:00:56 +0100
Philip Ashmore <contact@philipashmore.com> wrote:

> It's come to my attention that bug squashing parties are _the_ way to
> fix bugs.
>
> Not to be seen as uncool, I'm proposing a bug squashing party somewhere
> in Dublin, Ireland at a mutually agreed date and time.

You could do an online poll to get an idea of dates, times are probably
best thought of as the whole day / weekend. (Weekends will allow people
to travel and are usually easier for locals too.) I've seen people using
Doodle polls for this kind of thing before, with reasonable success.
http://www.doodle.com/

Create a wiki page so that people can put their names down if they are
able to attend and others can offer crash space / accommodation. If the
date isn't arranged, link to the doodle poll but get the venue
organised early so that people know where they need to be.

Do you have a rough idea of when? Which month? (Note that a lot of
Debian people will be in Nicaragua in early July - you could organise
the BSP to be alongside DebConf, allowing for time zone differences, or
do it afterwards and some of the people who went to DebConf might be
able to attend the BSP too.)

> I'm just canvassing for support right now, as I don't know the Debian
> procedure for doing this - or even if there is one.

The wiki page has already been mentioned in this thread, there's a
HOWTO linked from that page.

There's usually very good support for BSP's - lots of people want to go
to a BSP, it's organising the venue that can be the harder part.

> One of the topics/issues/bugs I hope to address is getting my open
> source projects in SourceForge knocked into shape for acceptance into
> Debian.
>
> I don't know if that meets the criteria for "party" - maybe a shindig or
> a hootenanny.

If people get together and work on Debian and fix bugs, it's a BSP.

Have fun!

--

Neil Williams