Re: Announce: script to automatically restart services after update of dependencies

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 12:23:45 +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Tomas Pospisek writes:

>> I've proposed this to Javier [3] and it's been quite well received :-)
>>
>>> What, yet another feature reserved for those in the know?  Surely we
>>> should be doing this by default.
>>
>> I agree. Could you suggest a way forward? Currently I'm aiming for
>> debian-goodies, however maybe unattended-upgrades would be a better
fit.
>> However I think really it should go into apt-level inftrastructure.
>
> I want to automatically restart services so that / and /usr can be
> remounted read-only again. But I don't want unattended upgrades. So for
> me debian-goddies is a better fit. Easy enough to add it then to the
> apt config.

Point taken.

However Ben argued, if I interpret him correctly, that services that
depend
on something (a library), should be restarted by default if that
dependency gets
updated and the user should not be required to install an "obscure"
package to
have that sane default behavior.

This implies that an "apt-get install library" needs to trigger that
restart.
Which means that apt-get needs to depend on restart-services. So either
restart-services and checkrestart should go into the apt package, or apt
needs
to depend on/recommend debian-goodies, which would currently pull in
python,
perl, curl, dialog and their respective dependencies.

The later may be a technically working solution, but from a conceptual and
KISS point of view doesn't make sense to me.

Is my conclusion correct so far?

So if we want a "clean" solution, then checkrestart/restart-services would
need
to move into apt and get rid of the non-essential dependencies (get
rewritten in
shell or C).

?

*t