Re: why do people introduce stup^Wstrange changes to quilt 3.0 format

* Russ Allbery (rra@debian.org) [120517 19:53]:
> Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@err.no> writes:
>
> > Pushing a signed tag and having source packages and binaries built from
> > that doesn't rely on 3.0 (git), though.  «Just» a repository somewhere
> > with hooks that go «oh, a signed tag, let me build a source package and
> > upload that».  Might fire it off as a job to a separate process so
> > pushing to big repos doesn't take a winter and a day, but that's really
> > an implementation detail.
>
> Good point.
>
> If I were to pick between the enhancements to Debian in this area, none of
> which I have time to work on and therefore can't vote on via
> implementation, I'd be way more interested in avoiding the entire source
> package upload process entirely and be able to just push signed Git tags
> to a trusted host that stores Git repositories for our packages.  Even if
> those repositories were only accessible to Debian maintainers because
> they're not license-reviewed.

git.debian.org isn't license-reviewed either, so could be the same
level of being public. Having special form of git-tags on git.d.o
automatically uploaded to ftp-master (and having there the usual
checks) would sound a good idea (of course, also for svn and other
vcs). However, this package format would still need to allow NMUs
(and/or having the vcs in question having support for NMUs).

Andi