Re: RFC: OpenRC as Init System for Debian

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 01:42:48PM +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:
> I'm going to investigate it in more detail on a running Gentoo system
> and learn a bit more about it before doing anything.  If anyone fancies
> doing the packaging, I'll be happy to join in.  I'll probably be able
> to provide a better overview once I know a bit more.

Just to provide a bit more context for this discussion.  After
learning a bit more about how OpenRC works, thanks to their
assistance on IRC:

- OpenRC is a relacement for sysv-rc/insserv/startpar
- It still depends on sysvinit, though only for the initial
  inittab runlevel actions.
- It uses its own dependency system rather than LSB.  In some
  ways, it's nicer (starting a script manually will also start
  the required deps, something LSB scripts can not do), and most
  of the LSB deps will map to OpenRC deps (not sure about all the
  (X- variants yet)
- It looks like it will be possible to get OpenRC to run LSB
  scripts and cope with LSB dependencies, which would let us
  evaluate it in Debian.

So from the POV of the wider systemd/upstart debate, it's not
going to particularly affect that.  I think this could be
viewed as a potentially good upgrade from insserv/startpar.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh