Re: RFC: OpenRC as Init System for Debian

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 08:52:59PM +0800, Patrick Lauer wrote:
> I'd like to ask you to evaluate OpenRC as candidate to replace the "old"
> have-always-been-there sysvinit/insserv init scripts in Debian.

While as others have mentioned that ideally a more dynamic init
system such as systemd or upstart is where I think the general
consensus is (we all know that sysvinit/insserv is flawed in many
ways, even if we can't agree on what should replace it), there is
always the possibility of having OpenRC as a sysvinit alternative
in the interim, or potentially as a systemd/upstart alternative
longer term.

Initially, we'd want to package it and make sure that it works
with our existing init scripts, before it could be considered as
the default.  (Obviously we can't make any promises about that;
we already have a number of alternative inits, and OpenRC would be
one of several.)

I think the key requirement is that it can function as a drop-in
replacement for sysvinit/insserv.  Are there any important
differences?  Does it treat LSB dependencies the same as insserv?
How about old scripts lacking dependency info?  Are the dependencies
computed dynamically or generated?  (insserv hooks into update-rc.d)

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh