Re: multiarch conversion for packages with lib32* packages

On 2012-03-24 04:04 +0100, Jay Berkenbilt wrote:

> I would like to do multiarch conversion for the icu packages.  I
> understand the concept and the implementation, and I have looked at
> http://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/Implementation.  One issue not covered
> is what to do if your package already builds 32-bit libraries on a
> 64-bit system by building 32-bit explicitly and packaging as
> lib32whatever.

Those packages aren't really affected by the switch to the multiarch
paths.  Just continue to build them as before.

> The ICU source package creates lib32icu-dev and lib32icu48 on amd64,
> ppc64, and kfreebsd-amd64.  Do I just stop doing this and let packages
> that build depend on lib32icu-dev just stop doing it, or is there some
> kind of transitional package that I should create?

No, you should not do either of that.

> Anyway it would be nice if the wiki page were explicit about this.  I
> could certainly just stop doing it and let packages that have this build
> dependency FTBFS until they do whatever changes they need to do, but I'm
> not sure whether a precedent or convention has been established.

The lib32* packages need to built as long as they have reverse (build)
dependencies.  I suppose most of them should go away in the long term,
but this is not going to happen in wheezy.

Cheers,
       Sven