Re: On init in Debian

Samuel Thibault <sthibault@debian.org> writes:
> the particular script that poses problem. With a deamon like systemd,
> it's rather all-or-nothing.

This gives me the impression that systemd would be a single monolithic
binary but isn't vconsole-setup.c that you mention actually part of a
small helper binary at /lib/systemd/systemd-vconsole-setup?

I've only studied systemd for a few weeks but can't you for example
replace the line

ExecStart=/lib/systemd/systemd-vconsole-setup

in /lib/systemd/system/systemd-vconsole-setup.service with something
like

ExecStart=strace -o /var/tmp/systemd-vconsole-setup /lib/systemd/systemd-vconsole-setup

to get at least some debugging data? And if you suspect that an upgrade
broke something you probably can get an older version of this binary
with debsnap and then

systemctl restart systemd-vconsole-setup.service

to test it.