Re: support for installing unconfigured systems (VM images, Debian Live images, preinstalled mobile/tablet images)

On 08/13/2011 06:15 PM, Colin Watson wrote:
On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 02:55:51PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
There is a new network device naming scheme that uses physical location
(slot number or firmware-provided port number) to name PCI network
devices.  So far this is implemented in Fedora 15 and RHEL 6.1 (!).  I
assume this would generate consistent device names for network devices
in VMs if the configurations differ only by MAC address.

Marco, do you have any plans for using this scheme as an option or as
the default?
This is implemented in the biosdevname package, which I think we should
get into Debian.  I got it into Ubuntu a while back, but have been
neglecting to sync up Debian.  Alex, what's the progress of your ITP
(#617820)?  Would you like to work together based on my Ubuntu package
(https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/biosdevname), which in turn was
somewhat based on the packaging provided by upstream?

I liked the idea of biosdevname and use it for my hardware .
The are no big progress because I've seen the discussion about possible solution with udev rules .But I would like to make the package tidy .I'll look on your package as soon as I'll find some time .
Regards ,
Alex