Re: /usr/share/doc/ files and gzip/xz/no compression

Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl> writes:

> On the other hand, zcat and zless are nothing but thin shell wrappers
> over "gzip -cd", without loads of extra functionality lesspipe has.  I'd
> turn them into a C program linked against zlib (priority: required),
> liblzma2 (priority: required) and libbz2 (priority: important, might be
> dlopened instead).

One angle of this discussion is confusing me: zcat and zless are upstream
binaries that are part of a package that we build from upstream source.
That upstream is gzip; presumably the gzip maintainers aren't particularly
interested in adding build dependencies on other compression formats.  (I
wouldn't be if I were them; it seems a bit outside their bailiwick.)

Are people who are proposing that we change these programs proposing we
build a new package with binaries of those same names and use
alternatives?  That Debian fork gzip?  Something else?