Re: /usr/share/doc/ files and gzip/xz/no compression

Hi!

Am 16.08.2011 02:43, schrieb Russell Coker:

> I'd like to see zless work transparently with bzip and xz compressed files.
> There's really no need for three different wrapper programs when the zless
> program can just consult the magic db to determine which decompression program
> to use.

FWIW, if you the following in your bashrc:

if [ -f /usr/bin/lesspipe ]; then
    eval "$(lesspipe)"
fi

you can just "less somegzfile" or "less somebzipfile".  In squeeze you
can't use less on a xz compressed file, but I guess that could be added.

The bashrc snippet

Best regards,
  Alexander