Re: The archive now supports xz compression

Hi,

 I'm happy to hear xz support. Some font packages can get huge profit with
 this (e.g. fonts-vlgothic: 4924KB -> 2132KB (half! :)

On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 19:52:46 +0000 (UTC)
Philipp Kern <trash@philkern.de> wrote:
> It takes a lot longer to compress on slower architectures (i.e. on the
> buildds), though.

 If there's a problem with slowness and CPU usage for some architecture,
 how about enabling xz compression with specifying architecture such as only
 all, i386 and amd64?

 i386 and amd64 have enough CPU power, and most of the users use those arch,
 so it's efficient. "all" has arch-independent data, compression would be
 done in i386 or amd64 on maintainers' desk, so no harm.

 If maintainer should decide to use xz compression or not, we should modify
 many debian/rules file to enable it. It's such a pain.

 - xz compression enable by default (no pain for package maintainers)
 - for limited arch - all, i386, amd64 (efficient)
   (or add kfreebsd-i386, kfreebsd-amd64, hurd-i386)

--
Regards,

 Hideki Yamane     henrich @ debian.or.jp/org
 http://wiki.debian.org/HidekiYamane