Re: Introducing Build-Recommends / Build-Core-Depends?

* Steve McIntyre (steve@einval.com) [110815 12:30]:
> Andreas Barth wrote:

> >Generic options are usually better IMHO, but well - YMMV.
>
> Often, yes. But also often at extra cost.

No doubt about that.

> Where is the added benefit
> here - i.e. what are the use cases?

I'm not sure I could speak about "cases", but an obvious use case
aside from bootstrapping is backporting, where I could just drop off
dependencies I'm not going to use instead of looking at the code and
figuring out if it's easier to backport yet another library or change
the code. Just because I know that removing dependencies not in
Build-Core-Depends will just work.

> Also, "Build-Recommends" is an atrocious name. :-)

"Names are only names" ;)

Andi