Re: How to close bug #620550?

On Mon, 8 Aug 2011 16:31:40 +0200, sean finney wrote:

On Mon, Aug 08, 2011 at 01:58:27PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
Keith Lawson writes ("How to close bug #620550?"): 2. Unless someone knows why PHP is using qdbm, it should IMO be switched back to gdbm. This is not RC I think.
I refer you, good sir, to the fine changelog for reference:

	php5 (5.1.6-4) unstable; urgency=high

	   [sean finney]
		  * no longer build against GPL'd gdbm library (closes: #390452).

Sorry I didn't check the change bug reports for an explanation for the switch.

I'm not licensing expert by any means, so this means any application that links to GPLed code can't also link to code that's under the ASL? That seems rather restrictive.

I change the bug severity to RC. If licensing is an issue I guess the only option is a version of QDBM in Debian without the GDBM emulation. I'm not sure how that's going to work if you want to install libapache2-mod-php5 and use GDBM though. I used the patches I sent for building QDBM without the gdbm_ symbols but that effectively breaks any GDBM functionality in PHP apps if PHP isn't linked against GDBM anymore.

Thanks,
Keith.