Re: Integrating Emdebian Grip into Debian

On Mon, 08 Aug 2011 17:43:55 +0200
Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@err.no> wrote:

> ]] Neil Williams
>
> | The discussions have resulted in quite a few points which I've now put
> | on the wiki:
> |
> | http://wiki.debian.org/EmdebianIntegration
> |
> | Please refer to the wiki before raising possible technical problems.
>
> It seems like nobody from DSA or the security team has been involved in
> this process so far?

It's hard to see how binary-compatible versions of Debian packages
would have different security issues to the binary-compatible ones in
another suite.

It wasn't possible to contact every team about this proposal at
DebConf11, that's what I want to achieve in this thread.

> also, the point:
>
>   «Documentation will be required for maintainers who may not currently
>    know that their package has already been released as part of Emdebian
>    Grip 1.0 (Lenny) and Emdebian Grip 2.0 (Squeeze). This documentation
>    will need to cover the changes made within the package and how to
>    deal with bug reports which refer to the Emdebian Grip version.»
>
> I don't really think it's reasonable to suddenly increase the workload
> of maintainers massively by making tracking bugs in emdebian their
> problem.

The documentation will cover what reportbug should already be doing,
namely redirecting bugs which are reported against a package using a
version ending in em1 to buildd.emdebian.org. So far, there are very
few bugs related to Grip, despite it's widespread usage.

Bugs in Emdebian versions are not going to increase the workload of
maintainers outside the Emdebian team and if some do get assigned to
the Debian package, those can just be re-assigned to
buildd.emdebian.org - at least until someone reproduces the problem in
Debian and reports "found" appropriately.

It isn't a massive increase. Only 10% of packages will be involved and
only on 6 architectures. However, the architectures remain the same -
this is about new suites, not architectures.

--

Neil Williams