Re: Integrating Emdebian Grip into Debian

On Sun, Aug 07, 2011 at 04:31:47PM +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> Emdebian has long described itself as an "official sub project of
> Debian" but this status has never actually been granted by Debian. The
> discrepancy recently led to discussions with the Debian Project Leader
> and on the debian-embedded mailing list [0] about integrating Emdebian
> into Debian so that the status of Emdebian can be decided properly.

Thanks for bringing this up here, Neil (and sorry for the delay).

FWIW, on this matter I'll be happy to be just a secretary of the
consensus of Debian people in blessing Emdebian as the official Debian
sub-project for using Debian on embedded devices. In our previous
conversations on this subject, I've simply pointed out that the claim of
"official sub project of Debian" is not, at present, warranted, and that
we should fix that one way or another.

I'm happy to see that discussions with the relevant teams (policy,
release team, ftpmaster, etc.) for integrating Emdebian more closely
into Debian infrastructure have been going on at DebConf11 and that are
continuing now.

I'll try to keep an eye on the various points you've collected on the
wiki page, but feel free to ping me when significant integration
milestones will be reached.

Cheers.