Re: A few observations about systemd

On Thu, Aug 04, 2011 at 07:41:29AM +0200, Thibaut Paumard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Le 03/08/11 17:23, Wouter Verhelst a écrit :
> >> Making the "do not start by default" policy default for the distro should
> >> improve out-of-box security.
> >
> > Our policy has always been 'do not install by default', which obviously
> > implies 'do not start by default'.
> >

> I don't agree.

Actually, you do.

> When I install Debian on a laptop or workstation, I only
> want what I need, and most of the time I don't want a SSH or FTP server.
> But the day I need it, I install it and I want to use it right away to
> connect to my personal account. I don't want to spend minutes or worse
> understanding how to start it reliably and safely.

Well, yes. Our default is that we don't install something by default.
Obviously, if something isn't installed, it also isn't started -- you
can't run what you haven't got on your hard disk to start with.

If you do want it started, that means you need to install it first. Then
it makes very much sense it is started automatically.

Right?

the following formula:

pi zz a