Re: Providing official virtualisation images of Debian

 > Hi, I believe it's high time we start to providing Debian in form of
 > official virtualisation images.  In contrast to the ISOs currently
 > provided it allows a quicker evaluation/testing of Debian (and can
 > also be very useful for testing (e. g. someone wrote on
 > debian-release that he doesn't have access to oldstable/stable
 > systems, with prepared virtualisation images that would no longer be
 > an issue).

	Most of the time, I'd prefer to use chroot'ed environments for
	getting access to other Linux-based systems (with comparable
	kernel versions.)

 > For many setups this could even replace the installer since software
 > selection and hostname can easily be tweaked post-install.

	While I can't readily advocate for one approach or the other,
	there certainly is an alternative.

	Namely, example preseed files for common in-VM installation
	scenarios may be provided (within a Debian package, in
	particular.)  Also, it could be made easy and straightforward to
	select a preseed file external to the image itself from the
	bootloader's menu.

	Given a ready to use preseed file, installing Debian is a
	matter of minutes (operator's time.)

	Also, this way, the issue of authenticity checking is already
	solved, and there's no need to waste any disk space to host
	extra image files.

	With Qemu (KVM), the process may be further simplified by
	providing a tarball with the respective kernel and initramfs
	images, and an (example) script to start the installer, in
	addition to the preseed file.  Since Qemu contains its own
	kernel bootloader, which can be configured from the command
	line, the process could be made almost fully-automated.

	The other virtualization solutions may demand a configuration
	file of a sort.  The examples, templates, or generators of such
	files may also be provided.

	The only configuration option that I expect to often require
	operator's attention would be the HTTP proxy URI.

[…]

--
FSF associate member #7257