Re: Providing official virtualisation images of Debian

On 07/26/2011 09:53 AM, Olivier Bonvalet wrote:
> Le 26/07/2011 09:28, Lucas Nussbaum a écrit :
>> On 26/07/11 at 00:27 +0200, Moritz Mühlenhoff wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I believe it's high time we start to providing Debian in form of
>>> official
>>> virtualisation images. In contrast to the ISOs currently provided it
>>> allows a quicker evaluation/testing of Debian (and can also be very
>>> useful for testing (e.g. someone wrote on debian-release that he
>>> doesn't have
>>> access to oldstable/stable systems, with prepared virtualisation
>>> images that would no longer be an issue). For many setups this could
>>> even
>>> replace the installer since software selection and hostname can easily
>>> be tweaked post-install.
>>>
>>> I think it's sufficient for starters to provide images for stable
>>> (they can be updated for every few point updates if needed).
>>>
>>> What virtualisation solutions should be supported?
>>> - Virtual Box seems like a natural candidate since it's free and
>>>    included since Squeeze.
>>> - Vmware has a significant installed base and is relevant, although
>>>    proprietary
>>> - Microsoft Virtual PC is likely also needed
>>> - Qemu
>>> - Citrix XenServer?
>>
>> - images for cloud infrastructures (AMI -- Amazon Machine Image)
>>
> +1
>
> I would love to have an official Debian Image for Amazon and other
> cloud infrastructures.
Please allow to bring
http://alestic.com/
with a series of fine images to your awareness. Those folks are not
beaten too
easily, and should rather be joined in some way.

The cloudbiolinux.org community is also preparing Debian-based images.
Everyone
out there in the cloud not using Azure likes Debian and/or its
derivatives. Rather than
having their effort duplicated, I would aim at embracing them and find a
niche for the
with or next to us.

That all said - we should be (and are) experimenting with those technologies
and come up with bits that those downstreamers might not have yet
thought of.
There is for instance Rudy at the very moment exploiting cross-architecture
virtualisation for the cloud with Eucalyptus as his Google Summer of
Code project.

Steffen