Re: distinguish between "core" and "main"?

Hi,

Philip Hands <phil@hands.com> writes:
> On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 08:29:03 +0200, Harald Dunkel <harri@afaics.de> wrote:
> Your pipe-dream of an effortless, stable, and up to date system is just
> that -- pick any two.

I personally prefer stable system with unstable chroot. This gives me
best of both worlds. I can use both stable and unstable version of the
same package if I want. I can still report bugs to debian since the
packages are unmodified.

With suitable bind mounts even freedesktop.org applications work quite
ok.

My current recipe is

1) sudo apt-get install debootstrap schroot
2) sudo mkdir /sid
3) sudo debootstrap sid /sid http://ftp.fi.debian.org/debian
4) Add the following to /etc/schroot/schroot.conf

[sid]
description=Debian sid (unstable)
location=/sid
aliases=unstable,default
users=user1,user2

where user1 and user2 are users that are allowed to use the chroot
(change them!).

5) Add the following to /etc/fstab

/home                 /sid/home                none bind 0 0
/dev                  /sid/dev                 none bind 0 0
/dev/pts              /sid/dev/pts             none bind 0 0
/dev/shm              /sid/dev/shm             none bind 0 0
/proc                 /sid/proc                none bind 0 0
/sys                  /sid/sys                 none bind 0 0
/tmp                  /sid/tmp                 none bind 0 0
/var/run/dbus         /sid/var/run/dbus        none bind 0 0

5.1) sudo mkdir /sid/var/run/dbus

6) sudo mount -a

7) sudo cp /etc/sudoers /etc/hosts /etc/hostname /etc/passwd /etc/shadow
/etc/group /sid/etc

8) Create /usr/local/bin/sid with the following lines

#!/bin/sh
schroot -c sid -p -q -- "$@"

8.1) sudo chmod a+x /usr/local/bin/sid

9) Create /sid/usr/sbin/policy-rc.d to prevent daemons from starting
accidentally inside the chroot with the following lines

#!/bin/sh
logger "sid $0 invoked with $@"
exit 101

9.1) sudo chmod a+x /sid/usr/sbin/policy-rc.d

10) (just an example) sudo sid apt-get install openoffice.org

11) (just an example) sid openoffice.org