Re: wheel group

On Fri, May 06, 2011 at 01:10:07AM +0200, Stanisław Findeisen wrote:
> Why is there no wheel group by default in Debian GNU/Linux?

In essence, it is there, it's just not using the "wheel" group name as you
find on Red Hat based systems. Instead, add the user to the "root" group.
Further, as is usually standard with wheel group installations, you can
edit the /etc/pam.d/su config file, and uncomment one or both of the
following lines:

    # Uncomment this to force users to be a member of group root
    # before they can use `su'. You can also add "group=foo"
    # to the end of this line if you want to use a group other
    # than the default "root" (but this may have side effect of
    # denying "root" user, unless she's a member of "foo" or explicitly
    # permitted earlier by e.g. "sufficient pam_rootok.so").
    # (Replaces the `SU_WHEEL_ONLY' option from login.defs)
    # auth       required   pam_wheel.so

    # Uncomment this if you want wheel members to be able to
    # su without a password.
    # auth       sufficient pam_wheel.so trust

Because I'm the only user on my personal systems, I uncomment the
"sufficient" line (with my user in the "root" group, of course), to get
access to root without entering my password. This also works with sudo(8).
This should be exactly what you are looking for.

--
. o .   o . o   . . o   o . .   . o .
. . o   . o o   o . o   . o o   . . o