Re: Best practice for cleaning autotools-generated files?

* Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> schrieb:

> > I'm (as upstream) using serval macros in their own .m4 files (eg.
> > in ./m4/, maybe even sorted into subdirs). Can autoreconf figure
> > out the required search pathes all on its own ?
>
> The problem is that autoreconf offers NO command line options for you to
> pass the required -I parameters for aclocal, nor is there a way to encode
> that information in the one place where it could conveniently live
> (configure.ac) AFAIK.

So, more precisely: autoreconf lacks an important feature would like
to see. So, until this feature is available, we'll still need another
way to cope with those situations. Sure, most of the packages probably
could be changed to be fine with simple autoreconf call, but I've
seen several cases where it's not that easy. In the end we have two

a) maintain specific build rules for virtually any package in virtually
   any distro (yes, I'm not just looking at one single distro),
   indefinitely

b) fix it in the source (the package itself) once and for all

> I sure hope it will NEVER decide to actually search for .m4 files at
> non-standard directories on its own, that would make things much worse.
>
> Anyway, you have to work around it using something like:
>
> ACLOCAL='aclocal -I foo -I bar' autoreconf

Well, that would again be a package specific workaround which has to be
maintained in the distro's build descriptors (whichever distro you're
looking at). And if that changes, the distro's package maintainer has
to find out early enough to (manually) adapt properly.

Leaves too much manual works and chances of breaks for my taste.

cu

 phone:  +49 36207 519931  email: weigelt@metux.de
 mobile: +49 151 27565287  icq:   210169427         skype: nekrad666