Re: glibc: causes segfault in Xorg

On Wed, May 04, 2011 at 12:29:50PM +0200, Julien BLACHE wrote:
> "Steve M. Robbins" <steve@sumost.ca> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > I'm with Linus on this: let's just revert to the old behaviour.  A
> > tiny amount of clock cycles saved isn't worth the instability.
>
> Tiny amount?! The optimized memcpy() variants that break shitty code
> bring a 4 to 5x speedup on the processors they've been written for!

And furthermore, even if Debian chooses to "fix" this, upstreams will
be forced to eventually cater to the default glibc behavior for every
other libc distro out there that does not have their own "fix" (and
non-libc OS's where this behavior already exists), so gains would be
potentially limited.

That said, regressions do suck, especially when they take the form of
heisenbugs.  But one could easily hack something LD_PRELOAD'able check
for stuff like this without forcing a global change.

my 0.02 $LC_MONETARY anyway,

	sean