Re: Integrating aptosid?

On Tue, May 03, 2011 at 05:32:41PM -0400, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:
> On Tue, 03 May 2011, Alessandro Ghedini wrote:
> > > Or am I missing some substantial design issue which is still lacking
> > > from http://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Guidelines
> > Sounds like the "Debian Pure Blends" [0] [1], with the difference that they
> > seem to use tasks instead of metapackages if I understood it correclty.
>
> tasks are used to create the metapackages ;)

Exactly (just uploaded metapackages for Debian Science generated from
tasks files :-)).

> blends are indeed very very related indeed.  Historically though they
> became of wider scope and deeper coverage, than I think many of
> the derivatives, which are often just customized package selection +
> design + custom installer/live-media.

The reasons why Blends have a focus on a certain workfield is that there
was simply no intend to generate a Debian derivative (the idea was just
to sit inside Debian).  However, I do not see a reason why the Blends
concept should not be enhanced to more general customisation.  That's
just a question of the content where you let the techniques (as well as
the conceptual ideas) work on.

> So, theoretically, blends mechanism could be extended to actually
> provide such customized installer + appearance...

Yes.

> or may be Debian
> installer itself could be used out of the box to provide a selection
> among blends and their tasks and even within the tasks, because some
> tasks cover too much of the software instances, not reasonable to have
> pre-installed them all at once.

I'm for a long time in preference of this but that's a different topic.

> But altogether the point is that indeed, it would be nice we somehow we
> could bring derivatives communities closer to Debian so they do not
> loose their originality/projects but infuse their work into Debian
> meanwhile.

On Debian Med list we try to teach derivatives with the same focus as
Debian Med to use our Blends techniques (which also work for derivatives
as well).

Kind regards

    Andreas.

PS: Yaroslav, it was nice to read that you share the same dream (expressed in
    your previous mail) as me. :-)

--
http://fam-tille.de