On Sun, 03 Apr 2011 16:53:11 +0530
Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> wrote:

> Le dimanche 03 avril 2011 à 07:24 +0800, Paul Wise a écrit :
> > Probably using glib/gobject etc is a no-no for a package that needs to
> > be in base.
>
> And that’s because… ?

it's an extra dependency which basic systems just don't need. glib is
good but it's not perfect and is not necessary just to get the system
to run. Same reason as I'd object to any replacement for ifupdown which
was written in Python.

> > The main problem I see is that the design of NM is wrong™ and the
> > upstream maintainers do not see it that way.
> >
> > The upgrading/restart issue was partially fixed, I read that wired
> > connections without authentication are not killed any more.
> >
> > The design issue is that NM thinks it is the centre of the networking
> > universe instead of just part of it, with the kernel at the centre.
>
> This is not a design issue, this is what can make it work.

Only if wireless is explicitly only supported as an option. Wireless
needs to be spun out and things like USB networking made to work at
least as reliably as ifupdown - again, as an option. The only
hard-wired dependency is ethN.

> If you have
> one single, extensible daemon being able to manage all your connections,
> you don’t need anything more.

I need the ability to remove all extensions which I'm not using on that
specific device and only install the ones I do need.

> The problem here is that it is, currently,
> not being able to handle all the network connection types we want to
> handle.

... independently ...

--

Neil Williams