Re: /run support for wheezy?

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 10:32:51PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@err.no> writes:
>
> > ]] Julien Cristau

> > Incidentially, I just sent a mail proposing this as a release goal.
> >
> > | That seems to say "on Debian /lib/init/rw was introduced for the same
> > | thing, but I'm using a different name just because I can".  What am I
> > | missing?
> >
> > It's a bit of an abuse of the /lib namespace.  It also outlines a plan
> > for how to get rid of /var/run and /var/lock long-term, something I
> > don't believe /lib/init/rw ever tried to.  It was just somewhere to
> > stuff random early data.
>
> What subdirs will we have then?
>
> /run/run  (formerly /var/run)
> /run/init (formerly /lib/init/rw)
> /run/lock (formerly /var/lock)
>
> or will one of the formerlies become the /run and the other subdirs. or
> will /var/run and /lib/init/rw be merged into just /run and /run/lock
> for locks?

I've filed a bug (#620191) against initscripts containing a proposed
patch for this.

/var/run (→ /run)
/var/lock (→ /run/lock)
/lib/init/rw (→ /run/init)
/dev/.* (→ /run/*)
/dev/shm/.* (→ /run/*)
writable files under /etc (→ /run/*)

> Depending on that upgrade options change so we should nail that down
> first.

The bug report and attached patch highlight some of the issues
for upgrades/new installs.  The patch isn't yet fully complete;
further discussion on how best to handle upgrades would be useful.

The changelog in the patch has a few items marked with TODO which
need more detailed specification.  Hopefully we can get /run
going fairly soon, once these are ironed out.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh