Re: Cross compiler ITP (armel)

On Mon, 14, Mar, 2011 at 02:04:30PM +0000, Hector Oron spoke thus..
> Hi,
>
> 2009/11/2 Mark Hymers <mhy@debian.org>:
> > On Mon, 02, Nov, 2009 at 12:43:42PM +0000, Philipp Kern spoke thus..
> >> Of course it is a sane approach but very special care needs to be taken when
> >> releasing to ensure GPL compliance.  So what we should get is support in the
> >> toolchain to declare against what source package the upload was built to
> >> keep that around.

Ok, I'm only going to comment on this part.  This is nearly implemented
and should be there by the end of the day (I need to run up some test
packages to work with).

The current design is the Binary packages can contain an additional
control field: Built-Using.

The specification of this field is that it *must* contain only strict
version dependencies and these must be to source packages.  I.e.

Built-Using: gcc-4.5 (= 4.5.2-5)

If dak can't parse this field, or the source versions which are declared
are not present when the binary package is uploaded, it will reject the
upload.  If it can parse and find these dependencies, it stores them in
an extra table in projectb which prevents us from throwing away the
relevant source files until these binaries no longer exist anywhere in
the archive, the same way as we handle it for the normal source case.

I'm not entirely sure where this should be documented, it's not really a
policy thing as it's specific to the archive.  Suggestions welcome.
We'll obviously include it in the minutes to d-d-a at the end of the
meeting (the main people this should be used by, as far as I know are
cross-compiler builders and the d-i and kernel-wedge people).

Mark

--
Mark Hymers <mhy at debian dot org>

"I never make predictions.  I never have and I never will."
     Tony Blair