Re: packages with hook interfaces and no documented hook policy

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 2:35 PM, Bjørn Mork <bjorn@mork.no> wrote:
> James Vega <jamessan@debian.org> writes:
>> On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 12:43 PM, Bjørn Mork <bjorn@mork.no> wrote:
>>> My claim is that packages like unattended-upgrades and pm-utils are
>>> completely unrelated to each other, and that a hook in
>>> unattended-upgrades which breaks pm-utils by preventing hibernation is a
>>> critical bug, even if the breakage seems intentional.
>>
>> Is this just a case of an upgrade pulling in a new kernel, which could
>> cause pm-hibernate to disallow a hibernate[0]?
>
> No, that one I can understand.  If the kernel changes, then you have to
> reboot before you can hibernate. But that is part of the kernel upgrade
> hooks and not really related to how the kernel is upgraded.
>

> This is what I find unacceptable about unattended-upgrades:
>
> case "${1}" in
>        hibernate)
>                python /usr/share/unattended-upgrades/unattended-upgrade-shutdown
>                ;;

The bug[0] which was the impetus behind adding that script seems sound
to me.  Delaying hibernation to ensure that the system isn't left in an
unbootable state is a fair trade-off.

[0]: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/191514
--
James