Re: packages with hook interfaces and no documented hook policy

James Vega <jamessan@debian.org> writes:

> The bug[0] which was the impetus behind adding that script seems sound
> to me.  Delaying hibernation to ensure that the system isn't left in an
> unbootable state is a fair trade-off.
>
> [0]: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/191514

Yes, its an ugly bug and I can understand the eagerness to avoid this by
adding hacks to unrelated packages.

But the problem is neither unattended-upgrades nor pm-utils, is it?
They only make the bug more likely to hit.  The real problem is that
upgrading some packages (kernel in particular, but possibly anything
involved in the boot process), will leave the system in an unbootable
state for some time.  But you don't need unattended-upgrades or pm-utils
to hit this.  You might as well be running "dpkg -i linux-image-..."
while power is failing.

Still, I can understand the hack in unattended-upgrades.  Fixing the
real bug is non-trivial.

Bjørn