Re: binNMU for Arch: all packages.

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 01:53:34PM +0100, Bastian Blank wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 10:29:46AM +0000, Philipp Kern wrote:
> > Arch:all binNMUing will only work if you keep the invariant of
> > version(arch:all) = version(source) in some way.

> This invariant comes from where? From my knowledge neither w-b nor dak
> cares about it.

From the de facto policy that was designed when binNMUs became common
practice, to ensure that we had a usable, binNMU-safe scheme to replace the
prior (= ${Source-Version}) usage.

Permitting arch: all binNMUs will break the assumption underlying all (=
${source:Version}) dependency declarations in use across all our packages,
making them instantly buggy, and require us to use a hackish (>= ), (<< )
construction for all arch:any -> arch:all dependencies just as we already
have to do for arch:all -> arch:any dependencies.

I agree that it's far preferable to do source NMUs in these cases.