Re: binNMU for Arch: all packages.

On 2011-01-15, Marco Túlio Gontijo e Silva <marcot@debian.org> wrote:
> The best option to fix this issue I can see is if it was possible to do binNMUs
> for Arch: all packages.  There are some options to workaround the fact that we
> can't binNMUs Arch: all packages, which are: change the -doc package to Arch:
> any; do sourceful uploads instead of binNMUs.  Both options are not ideal, but
> I prefer the first, because sourceful uploads for a 200 package stack would
> need a lot of work.

If the packages are team-maintained, nothing is stopping you from bumping the
revision with dch and do a build, sign, upload cycle.  Indeed without source-only
uploads you need to build it once.  But that's scriptable.  (And you can even
cache the key's passphrase through gpg-agent.)

Arch:all binNMUing will only work if you keep the invariant of
version(arch:all) = version(source) in some way.  IMHO sourceful uploading is
the way to go, however, it's frown upon because those are in fact NMUs for
packages you don't own.  For Haskell that shouldn't be a problem, for others we
might like to carve out a policy.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern