Re: DEP5 CANDIDATE parser/editor/validator/migrator is released in libconfig-model-perl

Dominique Dumont wrote:
> > Also, note that "Comment: foo" is not flagged as a problem (despite
> > being apparently illegal -- DEP-5 puzzlingly does not allow a comment
> > to have a synopsis).
>
> Now that I have finally understood this notion of synopsis, I can fix these
> issues.

I probably misread DEP5 -- when it says "formatted text, no synopsis",
it probably means that the entire field including the first line
is treated as one thing. So both "Comment: foo\n" and "Comment:\n foo\n" are
the same value.

FWIW, I think that its complex set of fields that all have different
encoding rules is a weakness of DEP5. I basically have to rely on
your tool to make sure that I keep all of these cases straight:

- 4 pure RFC822 fields (just a blob of text, possibly spread over multilines)
- 3 fields that use the synopsis as the first line of a multiline list
- 2 fields that can only use a synopsis, no extended text
  (sort of a degnerate case of pure RFC822 fields, where the field value cannot
  contain whitespace)
- 1 field that uses the synopsis for one thing, followed by extended text
  for another thing

We earlier perverted RFC822 in control files with the adoption of
synopsis+extended for Description, and single-line Depends fields. Depends
field parsing has since been fixed to allow multi-line wrapped fields,
only in time for things to be taken much further by this.

--
see shy jo, who still prefers this to XML.. just.