Re: Introducing the "Debian's Automated Code Analysis" (DACA) project

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 07:08:59PM -0600, Raphael Geissert wrote:
> > Have you already thought about Coccinelle? [1,2] In the context of
> > IRILL I'm working with some of the authors and we have already
> > anticipated with them the idea of having Coccinelle runs on the
> > Debian code base. It was just at a brainstorming level up to now,
> > but now that I know about DACA it clearly makes sense to integrate
> > with your effort.

Background: I'm discussing these days the possibility of running
Coccinelle on the Debian archive with Julia Lawall (one of Coccinelle
authors and who has worked on integrating it into Linux kernel
toolchain).

> I knew about Coccinelle, but hadn't thought about running it. Are
> there pre- made patches that could be used?

Starting from Linux 2.6.36, there's a dir scripts/coccinelle/ in
upstream Linux. It contains Coccinelle patterns to find bugs; some of
them propose patches as well, but I'm not sure what is the exact amount
of patches vs report-only. According to Julia, some of those patterns
are kernel-specific and expect a specific contact which is created by
kernel Makefiles; other patterns are OTOH fully generic. I guess the
best way to figure out how many of them are generic is to actually give
them a try.

What I find very interesting for Coccinelle, is that we can imagine a
growing set of patterns, contributed by users, package maintainers, QA
team, etc. However, that will need some support in DACA to re-run the
analysis of a given tool on the whole archive, which I'm not sure it's
something you had in mind to support.

> > It is now approved, but apparently no VCS is associated to it.
> GForge bug, worked around by the admins now.

Thanks!