Re: Introducing the "Debian's Automated Code Analysis" (DACA) project

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 12:00:21PM -0600, Raphael Geissert wrote:
> It's been a while since I started working on this project and even
> longer since I had the idea. It's therefore a pleasure to finally
> announce the DACA project.

Very cool achievement, thanks for it!

> Current tools: cppcheck, and checkbashisms (at the source package
> level.)

Have you already thought about Coccinelle? [1,2] In the context of IRILL
I'm working with some of the authors and we have already anticipated
with them the idea of having Coccinelle runs on the Debian code base. It
was just at a brainstorming level up to now, but now that I know about
DACA it clearly makes sense to integrate with your effort.

[1] http://coccinelle.lip6.fr/
[2] http://lwn.net/Articles/315686/ (LWN coverage)

> = Limitations =
>
> Most of the tools are CPU-bound, limiting considerably the number of
> tools and time it takes to check the whole Debian archive. For
> example, with the typical sid repository update (i.e. not during the
> freeze and with a working ftp- master) it is impossible for the server
> running cppcheck to keep up with all the changes.

We _might_ be able to offer some hardware for the Coccinelle runs, but I
need to verify if that is a concrete possibility or not.

> * First of all you can go and squash bugs!
> * Second, report false positives, fix bugs, improve the tools

To both ends, it would be very useful to have some way of following,
incrementally, the availability of new runs and/or package
information. For instance, having RSS/Atom feeds of new entries in the
DACA log would be very nice.

> * Third, join the DACA project
> More hands are needed to evaluate other tools, setup an infrastructure for
> running them, and finally generating the web reports.
> Discussing tools already available at DACA is also welcome.
>
> There's a project request at Alioth pending its approval, but once
> accepted access to the repository and mailing lists will be found at:
>
> http://alioth.debian.org/projects/daca

It is now approved, but apparently no VCS is associated to it.

Thanks a lot for this initiative!
Cheers.