Re: List of FTBFS in Ubuntu

Lucas Nussbaum <lucas@lucas-nussbaum.net> wrote on 2010-12-03 10:36:

> No, sorry. I must admit that I didn't spend any time investigating the
> failures. However, my irssi backlog says the two major changes in Ubuntu
> that could cause failures are:
> - --as-needed is now used by default by the linker
> - python2.7

Many packages (e.g. xfe, xfce-*) fails with
"[LD_ERROR] ...: could not read symbols: Invalid operation"

I know that the Xfe package fails because Ubuntu use:
"-Bsymbolic-functions"  by default by the linker.

The reasons for the problems are redefinitions of some library functions
in the package. See:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xfe/+bug/644645

Unfortunately I don't know any workaround. All upstreams ought to rewrite
many parts of the source code to work with this default linker config.

Have a nice day,

Joachim (Germany)