Re: Default value of net.ipv6.bindv6only should revert to 0

md@Linux.IT (Marco d'Itri) writes:
> On Apr 12, Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org> wrote:

>> This has exactly nothing to do with the default value of bindv6only.
>> If anything, setting it to 1 by default makes things worse for v4-only
>> setups.

> How so?

Because of IPv6 code that assumes that you get a socket that can accept
IPv4 connections when you bind to :: or ::1, which is apparently the
behavior of the Java networking code.  Without bindv6only=0, you suddenly
get network services that can only listen to IPv6 connections.  I've had
this happen at various places inside Java that aren't obviously network
services; for example, Eclipse's help system is implemented as a JSP
server that binds to ::1 and expects to then accept connections to
127.0.0.1.

I suspect it's going to be hard to get them to change, since they
apparently have some backing for this position in the relevant standards.
(Which IMO was a horrible design for the API, but it's probably too late
to change it now.)