Re: Handling optimization flags in Debian packages

On 04.04.2010 22:29, Tiago Bortoletto Vaz wrote:
Hi all,

I've faced an issue (#557550) which is much probably caused by a CPU which
doesn't support SSE2 instructions. I'm not sure about the best way to address
this. Any suggestion will be very welcome. Actually I can see the following
workarounds:

1) consider that most of CPUs support this flag, so tell the reporter to
compile the package by him/herself.
Quite bad.

2) remove this specific flag during package building, ending with a
non-optimized software available for all users.
<have a look at the end of my mail>

3) create a specific -sse2 (or -non-sse2) package.
Sounds like too much work.

4) ask the upstream to code runtime checks before using SSE2 specific
instructions (is that possible?).
AFAIK it is possible.

For now, my choice is #1.
This is a bad decision.

The only architecture where you can assume, that all CPUs support MMX and SSE{2} is amd64. So you can enable the optimizing flags only on this arch.
I am also handling it this way in my packages.

--
/*
Mit freundlichem Gruß / With kind regards,

E-Mail: pmatthaei@debian.org
        patrick@linux-dev.org

Comment:
Always if we think we are right,