Re: defaulting to net.ipv6.bindv6only=1 for squeeze

On 2009-12-26, Hendrik Sattler <post@hendrik-sattler.de> wrote:
>> Does that mean your application only works if the kernel supports
>> IPv6?
> Why would you want to disable basic IPv6 support?

People opt to not have IPv6 support in the kernel because they don't need it,
they don't want accidentally get out through IPv6 just because someone
sent out router advertisements in untrusted nets, or because some routers
do not cope with AAAA questions and don't answer, causing timeouts.

There are always possibilities where people would want that (me not included),
or where people would need that.

>> In that case I think your application is broken.
> No. Every software has requirements on the system. And this one requires basic
> IPv6 support because it's programmed that way. I don't see any problem with
> that.

Sure.  But there are recommended ways on how to program with sockets to
support both IPv4 and IPv6 and it looks that yours is not one of them.
Might be a sign of bad quality if it does not depend on the availability
of IPv6 itself.

> But you are free to have your own opinion.

How grateful.  I'll take my share of that too.

Kind regards,
Philipp Kern